Preventing Cooking Fires in Student Housing
When your child is going off to university or college, our cooking safety devices can help keep them safe. In many cases, students have not received any fire safety training since grade school, and college is the first time that many young adults have to fend for themselves. Our patented fire prevention device helps eliminate dorm cooking accidents.
The Kitchen is a Common Area for Fire Hazards
According to the annual average that was taken by the National Fire Protection Association from 2011 to 2015, most fires that occurred in student housing started in the kitchen or cooking area. “Approximately 7 in 10 (72%) of fires in these properties began in the kitchen or cooking area, accounting for 44% of civilian injuries and 14% of direct property damage..”
Mention the words “unattended cooking fire,” “stove top fire,” or “stove left on when no one was home,” and virtually every campus fire marshal will nod knowingly and with concern. You wouldn’t believe how many times campus fire marshals have been in an apartment with no one home and found the stove burners on high. Students living away from home for the first time, their lack of sleep during finals, and frequent distractions all contribute to a dangerous risk of unattended cooking fires.
• Our stove shut off devices continuously watch for movement in the kitchen.
• If someone leaves the room or falls asleep, leaving their cooking unattended, our devices will shut off the stove before the fire starts. Immediately reducing the chance of a dangerous cooking fire.
Our safety products were designed with college students in mind. A study break during an all-nighter or a case of the munchies after a night of partying can become dangerous. Managers can implement cooking permissions for these situations, helping to prevent cooking fires. With our devices, cooking can be restricted to certain hours, students are required to stay near the stove while cooking, and they may need to ask to check out a secure key from the RA for cooking after hours.
We can help reduce the risk of unattended Cooking fires!